A fact is something that can be proven. An opinion is someone’s feelings about a particular subject. Can you determine which sentences are fact and which are opinions?
1. Memorial Day is the most important holiday of the year.
2. April is a month with thirty days.
3. Spring is the most beautiful season of all.
4. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are weekdays.
5. The first day of the school year is scary.
6. Elephants eat grass and leaves.
7. Canaries sing beautifully.
8. A cheetah can run faster than a lion.
9. A rhinoceros can be very difficult to take care of.
10. Hummingbirds are the only bird that can fly backwards.
Answers: The odd numbered statements are opinion and the even numbered statements are fact.