There’s nothing like breaking down at the side of the road. To keep you safe and prepared, keep these items in your vehicle:
- Spare tire (in good condition), along with a tire jack and tire iron, because without them or someone else to help you, the spare tire is useless.
- Jumper cables, because dead batteries happen to the best of us.
- Your car’s manual, which should be kept in the glove compartment.
- Tire pressure gauge: Checking tire pressure on a regular basis can improve handling, increase fuel economy, and promote tire longevity.
- Duct tape and WD-40
- First aid kit
- Matches or other fire starter
- Energy bars or MREs
- Weather radio
- Blanket, which comes in handy not just for keeping warm in emergencies, but also at the park, baseball stadium, etc.
- Seat belt cutter and window breaker. Keep this in your glove compartment.
- Flares or reflective triangle, so you don’t get hit at the side of the road in the dark.
- Maps. Yes, the paper kind.
- Ice scraper
- Paper towels or a hand towel
- Tissues or a roll of toilet paper
- Pencil and paper
- Spare change/emergency money
Are you prepared?